12.02.2011

date night


(Oh, silly Madison, the camera is not on dad's belt buckle or at the tip of your toes.)

(yes, I did change the color of my hair. It should wash out after 28 days. I also do not know why I am posing in a, I am about to do some lunges, pose. I must be watching too many episodes of Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders Training Camp.)

Madison had her first non-family member watch her last night. I do not think she had any issues because when we were walking out the door she was squawking and grabbing our friend's face with both hands (her way of showing affection).

I had bought a groupon for a restaurant downtown and we headed out in the snow for some alone time. Everything was wonderful except I was freezing the entire time and never took off my unflattering, puffy jacket.

Amazingly enough we have a lot to talk about still, discussions that do not always include our little baby. Topics that range from Tim Tebow, marriage equality (or whatever the pc term is), group of six business men seated behind us, you know, the usual.

I think the discussion that stood out most in my mind, happened to be about parenthood. Several of our friends have found someone they intend on marrying and most likely have children with. So I asked Will what his words of wisdom would be about fatherhood to some of his friends and pretty much asked myself the same question about motherhood. Will said, "It is a lot of fun. I could try and get her to smile all day long. I can not think of anything else I would be ok doing all day long. Even the few inconveniences do not come close to outweighing the positive things of being a father. And the love you get to experience is unlike anything else." (So I do not remember word for word what he said, but this is pretty much the gist) Pretty sweet, huh??

I think my natural tendency is to explain motherhood as, "it is all worth it." But, what exactly makes it worth it, her smile, her giggles, all the things she is learning? Are those enough reasons to have a child? I think the biggest thing that makes the continual self-sacrifice worth it, is getting to experience life in a way I never would have if I had not become a mother. All of a sudden, I have this view of the world, my life, my parents, my God, my husband, that can only be attributed to having Madison. I have emotions I did not know existed; emotions that cause me to truly grasp the tragedy of losing a child, emotions that overwhelm me when I think of having a front row seat to someone's life unfolding, emotions that allow me to finally enjoy the moment and realize how fleeting time actually is. Being a mother is continually refining me. I will learn lessons that would otherwise go untaught if it had not been for Madison.

So, I am not sure I should be a spokesperson for the power of mothering, because I just re-read my paragraph and it pretty much says, "become a mother, become an emotional basket case."

Just know that, by becoming a wife and now a mother, a whole new world has opened up. A world I would have never known existed if I did not get to experience it first hand. Plus, it is a lot of fun, like what Will said.

Hopefully this weekend will entail visiting Santa, getting a tree, and being full of Holiday cheer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio