10.29.2012

my thoughts on the election

One of the many benefits of living in Colorado is the fact that it is a swing state. Meaning, Obama and Romney's campaign constantly flood my television viewing with political ads bashing each other. This pretty much leaves me feeling not so nice things towards both of them.

But before I express my thoughts on the intense opinions surrounding this election (and all the others before it...), know that Will and I both have already voted. Even though I do not stand strongly behind one specific candidate, the fact that everyone (even if you do not speak English) can vote in this country is something that should not be taken lightly. I imagine those that live in countries where there is no public voting option, would do just about anything to get a chance to change the way their government is being led. So please, even if the election season is just as annoying to you as it is to me, vote. Just do it.

Now my opinions on politics is coming from a faith point of view. This probably automatically makes me naive and apathetic, but it makes sense to me. I have made a decision, probably around the time Obama was running in 2008, to not partake in the fear associated with the possible downturn of our country. The idea that Obama might be the anti-christ or that Obama will take away all of our rights, or whatever else circulates around in this false email chains, I have chosen to ignore them. Tax-cuts, foreign policy, women's rights, welfare, war, all of these political stances are formed from one mindset; the mindset that we should save a failing world.

In the end, this wonderful country or the person in charge of it, do not hold the well being of my future. Christ alone does. 

The thing is, there will never be a solution to any of these issues people so adamantly debate. The world is made up of fallen, sinful people in need of a savior, including our future, Mr. President. 

I find confidence in knowing that there is hope for my soul beyond this world. That in the end, no one can take all the money they saved with them (even if they invested in a way that the government could never touch...). The kingdoms we all build will eventually fall, unless we live for something more than the here and now have to offer. 

There is a song by JJ Heller, that really sums up how I feel: 

"Oh this silly heart of mine
Looking for new things to buy
Nothing really satisfies
In the end, in the end
Greed is making fools of us
Waging war betraying trust
Empires only fade to dust
In the end, in the end

Safety is not for sale.
(You can not buy peace of mind)
Earthly defenses fail
(There's nothing new under the sky)
Build your kingdom all your life
And say goodbye
In the end, in the end"


So go vote, but no matter that outcome, I pray, you will find hope in something else besides the winner. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio