1.27.2014

oh, hey 2014

I am not much of a new years resolution type person. It is mostly because my melancholy personality is too busy mourning another year has passed. However, I wanted to take a minute to think about what it is I want out of this year. I do not think I can come up with a direct phrase or word to embody the whole year, but the closest thing I can think of, is rest. 

I want this year to be a year of resting in our family. Resting in our here and now. Resting in watching our two girls turn three and one. Resting in the adventures Colorado has to offer. Resting in not having a huge life change lurking in the future. 

In order to really emphasis what I mean by rest, I should do a rough recap of our life together. 

[2007]
We meet. We decide within a too short of a normal time period we want to get married. I make plans to figure out how to graduate from college early. 

[2008]
We spend the summer working in Estes Park. We get engaged. Will starts graduate school in Montana. I finish my last semester in college. I graduate from Texas A&M. 

[2009]
We get married. Move across the country. We move into student housing. We move again, this time in a 450 sq. ft apartment. We adopt Aspen. 

[2010]
Start the year of running by training for a half-marathon in May. Spend the rest of the year training for a marathon. Plan for Will's potential completeion of graduate school. Surprise, I am pregnant. 

[2011]
Will graduates. We move to Texas. Madison is born, woah! Move to Denver. 

[2012]
Start looking at houses. Buy a house. Go to Hawaii. Celebrate Madison's first year. I start graduate school. Surprise, (well, not really...) I am pregnant again. 

[2013] 
Spend the first half of the year anxiously anticipating little Eliza. Spend the rest of the year anxiously transitioning to having Eliza. 

[2014] 
The year of no impending life change. 

We have pretty much made a huge life decision every year of knowing each other. It is something I had not even realized until I sat down to reminiscence about our five years of marriage. I have been pregnant for a least a portion of the past three years. We have always had some sort of move looming in our future. Anyway, it is really nice to know that we do not have anything on the agenda this year. I am realizing and accepting that this is our home. We are finally digging in and making this place our own. 

We have several of our close friends and family whose turn it is to experience these life changes and we could not be more thrilled for them. It will be great to get to celebrate them fully and be the bystanders. 

I am excited that we can finally get the chance to just be, to rest (well. relatively). 
So here is to 2014! 


 

1 comments:

Emily Powell said...

sounds like a good plan :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio