2.19.2011

Camping in the Winter



We are all unpacked and cleaned up from last night's camping experience. Will rented us a forest service cabin in the mountain range 20 miles from our house. We packed our bags and the doggie oggie and set out for a little adventure.

The cabin was only a quarter mile walk from the car and it was very manageable for a nearly five month pregnant woman like me. After making our pallets on the ground, Will began to try and start the fire. I wandered around with Aspen and took some pictures. When we got back, Will had still not started the fire and we were down to ten matches. Luckily he married a genuine mountain woman and I got it started on the first try.

The room got quite toasty, Will taught me a card game, Aspen claimed Will's bed as her own, and we just talked for five hours with out distractions. Well, the only real distraction was the sudden sound of heavy footsteps outside the door and a booming knock that shook the whole cabin. Um, creepy! The man at the door sounded drunk and like he was slurring his words. Turns out he had left some kerosene there the night before and decided that skiing to the cabin at eight at night was the best time to get it back. After our hearts slowed down, we resumed our night.

The fire of course died during the night, which made for a cold morning. We bundled up and began to start on breakfast. I slowly cooked the eggs and bacon. We were able to enjoy breakfast biscuits about an hour after we started the stove. We decided we would be fine if we never have a wood burning stove of our own to cook on.

Overall the trip was wonderful. I think Will said about twenty times, "This cabin is so awesome, we could so build a cabin like this." Now we are relaxing and I am killing time until I have to make an appearance as Belle at a princess party. I am seriously worried about the costume zipping. I might have to retire my princess hat pretty soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio