7.21.2011

What is in a name?

Madison:
Daughter of a Mighty Warrior

We pretty much put off deciding on a name the entire pregnancy. We briefly discussed some names, but discussions quickly turned into Will spatting off names like, "Bertha, Suzy, etc." We browsed through the overwhelming books that claimed to help parents decide on the perfect name. Looking through over 1,000 baby names does not do much in aiding anyone in narrowing down their search. I wished that there was a questionnaire we could fill out that would spit out a name perfect for our little baby, but no such luck.

Madison seemed to be the only name I could get a straight, "I like that name," out of Will.
I wanted a name that had some significance and meaning. Depending on what source you use for baby name meanings, Madison has a variety of meanings, especially since it started off as a boy name. The definition that really stuck out to me was, "Daughter of a mighty warrior." At first, I thought, that is funny, Will as a mighty warrior, but then I thought a bit deeper. I thought about my deepest longing for our children, the longing for them to truly know and serve the Lord. For our daughter, the cry of my heart is for her to fully rest in the love of her Heavenly Father, to know how much he cares for her and cherishes her. It just so happens that her Heavenly Father, is indeed, the mightiest warrior of all.

So the name Madison stuck. However, my real hesitation was the possibility of her name quickly turning into Maddie. So, please, our daughter's name is not Maddie, but Madison.

Estes:
Man Who Lives by an Estuary

Ha, clearly the middle name was not picked because of meaning. For some reason, I loved the idea of Estes for a girl's name. But because of its uniqueness (as in not a single person has ever named their child Estes) I decided against it. Estes stems from Estes Park, CO. We spent the summer we got engaged working in Estes Park. It is a place that holds many memories that are pivotal to our relationship. Since Madison is an outpouring of us, we figured it was fitting that her name include pieces of our relationship.

A glimpse into our naming process. It is still a bit strange that we named a child. I mostly refer to her as baby, not Madison, but I am working on it so there is no name confusion later on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio