8.17.2010

Twenty Miles In The Lone Star State

I flew into Houston this weekend to "take care" of my dad after he had he is heart surgery. I am not sure bringing him two Cokes to drink counts as taking care of someone. Even though I sat through three days of a never-ending golf tournament, I really enjoyed being there. It was nice to be able to just sit there with my dad and not have any place I had to go (well, except for the 20 miles I had to run).

I decided I would break the run up between the morning and night. My lovely Aunt offered to pick me up at 6:45 am on Sunday and drop me off at Meyer Park for two hours. I was hoping to run 13 in the morning, but the humidity over took me. I was literally wringing out my clothes at the thirty minute mark. It was a lot harder to breath at sea level than at the 5,000 feet I am at now. I then ran 8.5 miles on the treadmill at my grandmother's house. Thank you Kardashian sisters (there were back to back episodes on E!) for distracting me while I was pouring sweat and chafing on my thighs. I am still not positive if it is beneficial to split up the long runs, but I lived through running in the August heat in Texas. Will and I are going to have some adjustments to do when we move back.



You can not really see the sweat, but my shirt is soaked entirely.


I also had lunch with Claire while I was in Houston. We ate at El Gallo, a place where we ate many meals in high school. We ended up sitting and talking for three hours, it was wonderful. It is such a relief to be able to sit and have a free-flowing conversation with someone who knows me and we can just pick up where we left off. Friendships are really important. Meeting with Claire, made me long for the day that we can be back in a place where we have friends who truly know us.

We are off to D.C. in the morning to see my little bro bro. I am super excited to see him. We are going to play tennis, go swimming, do all the touristy stuff, and see him ride one last time at Arlington Cemetery.

1 comments:

* said...

I loved the shout-out! It meant so much to me that I got to see you last weekend. You are so beautiful, Steph. I feel so lucky to have you as a friend and am so thankful that we have managed to keep in touch over the last 10 years.
Ok, no more awkward emotional comments. Now please go eat something fattening since all this running is causing you to melt away.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio